Why doesn’t Thor have his hammer?
Even the most casual comic book fan knows that Thor’s weapon of choice is his hammer, Mjolnir. A lot of people don’t Mjolnir is enchanted to only allow those deemed worthy to wield it. Even more people don’t know the hammer has a name. During Marvel Comics Original Sin story-line we saw Thor Odinson become unworthy to wield the hammer. During a fight, Nick Fury was able to utter a simple sentence in Thor’s ear. Whatever was said to Thor caused him to be unworthy to wield Mjolnir. As a result of Thor being unable to lift Mjolnir a mysterious woman become the new wielder of the hammer. It was revealed a few issues later to be Jane Foster. That put Thor on a journey to once again become worthy and regain his hammer.
History of Mjolnir
The name given to Thor’s hammer is Mjolnir. The literal translation means “that which smashes”. Mjolnir does so much more than just smash things. Before I go into detail about all it’s abilities and powers let me give you the origin of Mjolnir.
Long ago a powerful cosmic storm called the God Tempest approached Asgard. This storm was called the “Mother of Thunder”. The storm could knock planets out of their orbit and make black holes shake. Odin held the storm off for many days weakening it enough to trap it in a chunk of Uru.
Odin ordered the Dwarves of Nidavellir to forge Mjölnir from this chunk of Uru. The Dwarven blacksmiths Eitri, Brokk, and Buri had to use the heat of a star to get the forge hot enough to smelt the Uru. It took them seventeen weeks to finish the hammer.
The hammer was uncontrollable due to the God Tempest still retaining its power. Odin cast an enchantment on the hammer to prevent anyone else from wielding the hammer. It was stored away where it sat for many ages. The God Tempest would eventually die, but its power would remain inside Mjolnir. Odin also cast several very potent spells upon the hammer. Mjolnir was given to Thor after he proved himself worthy by completing several trials.
Properties of Mjolnir
Mjolnir grants its user mystical attributes and powers. Many of these were unknown by Thor until revealed when Jane Foster wielded the hammer. Mjolnir can be used both offensively and defensively. Almost nothing is capable of withstanding a hammer blow. It has been described as impacting with sufficient force to “destroy mountains” and has proven capable of shattering the armor of a Celestial. Mjolnir is classified as an Omega Class Weapon.
A few of the enchantments placed on Mjolnir
- Worthiness Enchantment: This enchantment prevents it from being wielded by anyone that has not been found worthy.
- Mystical Link: Mjolnir obeys the wielder’s commands as though it were alive.
- Weather Manipulation: Wielding Mjolnir grants the user the ability to control the base elements of a storm , i.e. rain, wind, thunder, lightning and more.
- Flight: The wielder is capable of hurling Mjolnir with great force and by holding onto the leather thong, is capable of flying through the air at tremendous speeds.
- Energy Projection: The wielder is able to project powerful mystical blasts of energy. The wielder can even channel energies for stronger energy attacks.
- God Blast: Thor is capable of channeling different amounts of his godly energies in combination with the mystical properties of Mjolnir for a single massive blast known as the God Blast.
- Anti-Force: Thor is capable of producing an indescribably powerful blast known as the Anti-Force which is capable of annihilating entire planets.
- Thermo-blast: Thor has the ability to produce a universe shaking thermo-blast capable of decimating even entire planets and beings as powerful as Ego the Living Planet.
- Barriers: Mjolnir is capable of creating powerful barriers, force fields, and vortexes that are impenetrable.
- Energy Sensing: Mjolnir can detect practically all types of energy. It reacts particularly strongly to evil psychic energy, and supernatural energy. Mjolnir can also track down the energy pattern of someone in hiding, detect any Asgardian’s aura by their electrons discharge, and can sense and track the energy radiating from mystical objects.
- Energy Absorption and Redirection: Thor is able to use Mjolnir to absorb any energy blasts directed towards him as means of attack. Once the energy is absorbed, Thor can redirect it back amplified many times over towards the source and/or use it as a weapon of his own.
- Teleportation: By rapidly swirling Mjolnir by the leather thong Thor can channel energies for the purpose of Wormholes through means of a vortex. In this vortex time has no meaning, which means he and others can pass through it to their destinations instantaneously.
- Matter Manipulation: By spinning Mjölnir in a precise manner at cyclotronic speeds, Thor can manipulate matter from a molecular level to a vast scale, which allows him to create other configurations and even allows him to transmute the elements themselves.
- Resurrection: While channeling his power through Mjölnir, Thor was able to resurrect a man he had wrongly killed.
- Alpha Particles: Thor’s hammer can harness Alpha Particles from the atmosphere and could use it to atomize any weaponry.
- Negation of Mystic Energy: He used this ability on the Juggernaut himself to negate the mystical energies that grant him his mystical invulnerability, allowing him to defeat Juggernaut in combat. He was able to stop Mephisto from taking human souls to the Dark Dimension.
- Nether World Power: Thor can use Mjolnir to tap into the power of the Nether Worlds.
- Cosmic Energy: Mjolnir allows Thor to produce and control Cosmic Energy to an unknown limit for a variety of purposes.
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Manipulation: Thor was able to absorb and manipulate the electromagnetic energies of the Celestial Mothership.
- Invisibility and Intangibility: Thor can turn himself or others, using Mjolnir, completely intangible and/or invisible. An offshoot of this ability is that Thor can use Mjolnir to completely disrupt the phasing abilities of super humans.
- Event Recall: Thor can use Mjolnir to recall past events.
- Transmigration of Souls: Thor’s hammer has the ability to manipulate souls.
- Life Force Absorption: Thor used this ability on the super villain the Presence, who was forced to surrender to prevent himself from being reduced to a lifeless husk.
- Illusion Detection: Mjolnir can distinguish images, holograms, and different illusions from reality.
- Interdimensional Messaging: Thor can used Mjolnir to send psychic messages between the nine realms.
- Holy Object: As a former religious relic, Mjolnir is lethal to vampires.
- Transformation: Thor can use Mjolnir to transfer from his Donald Blake persona into Thor and vice versa.
- Immunity to Other Forces: Even without activating the powers of Mjolnir, Thor’s hammer is impervious to nearly all forms of change.
- Time Travel/Chronokinesis: Mjolnir can bend space and time and allow itself and its holder to travel through time.
- Allspeak: Thanks to the Allspeak, the wielder of Mjölnir can communicate with and be understood by all races.
In the Original Sin issue #7 Nick Fury is revealed to be the one who killed Uatu. Thor and Nick Fury get into a scuffle. At some point during the fight, Fury whispers something in Thor’s ear that causes him to become unworthy of wielding Mjolnir. That happened back in 2014. We have never been told exactly what was said to make Thor unworthy. That is about to change. Thor writer, Jason Aaron has promised the secret that Nick Fury told Odinson which made the Asgardian unable to lift Mjolnir will be revealed in March 22’s The Unworthy Thor #5.
“I always said we’d eventually find out just exactly what Nick Fury whispered to Thor Odinson that made him unworthy,” said Unworthy Thor writer Jason Aaron. “The words have been scribbled in my trusty Thor notebook for years now. Words that speak to the overall story I’ve been telling with this character going back to Thor: God of Thunder #1. The next phase of that story begins now.”
Aaron gives no hints as to what the revelation will be. Editor Wil Moss gives some insight saying, “I remember when Jason told me what it was that Nick Fury whispered, it just felt so satisfying. Like, it’s definitely a big curve-ball, but it feels so organic to Jason’s overall larger Thor story. It feels earned”.
The Unworthy Thor (2016-) #5
- Written by: Jason Aaron
- Art by: Olivier Coipel
- Cover by: Olivier Coipel
Digital Release Date: March 22 2017
Age Rating: 12+ Only
Copyright: 2017 Marvel Characters, Inc.
Official Press Release
This is it! A mystery years in the telling will finally be unfurled! Once upon a time, the God of Thunder was rendered unworthy. Not by a great and terrible foe, but by a mere whisper. At long last, the contents of that whisper will be revealed! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your look inside THE UNWORTHY THOR #5 – the senses-shattering final issue! Superstar creators Jason Aaron and Olivier Coipel bring the thunder and give fans the answers they’ve been waiting for – just HOW did the Odinson become unworthy of his magic hammer Mjolnir? Is redemption on the horizon for the fallen son of Asgard? No matter what happens next, life will never be the same for the Odinson. No fan should miss out on the blockbuster conclusion – THE UNWORTHY THOR #5 – on-sale in comic shops everywhere on March 22nd!
#MarvelComics #Thor #UnworthyThor #NickFury #OriginalSin #Mjolnir #JaneFoster